Algerian Middle School English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Algerian Middle School English

A corner for the teachers of Middle school English where to meet to discuss and share ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Forum
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 127 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:41 pm
Latest topics
» peace upon you
A lot to say about Book One. EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 7:06 pm by mehenni linda

» Third Final Exam MS1 , May 2013
A lot to say about Book One. EmptyThu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm by Nacerlarbi

» Third Final Exam MS3 , May 2013
A lot to say about Book One. EmptyThu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm by Nacerlarbi

» Third Final Exam MS3
A lot to say about Book One. EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 12:18 pm by amer

» 2nd FINAL EXAM MS1 (March 2013)
A lot to say about Book One. EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:14 pm by Nacerlarbi

» 2nd FINAL EXAM MS3 (March 2013)
A lot to say about Book One. EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 pm by Nacerlarbi

» Yearly Distribution
A lot to say about Book One. EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 3:13 pm by babibah

» teacher training workshop TKT
A lot to say about Book One. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 pm by simsim

» THIRD FINAL EXAM MS2 2012
A lot to say about Book One. EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:27 pm by Nacerlarbi

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Gallery
A lot to say about Book One. Empty
Forum

A lot to say about Book One.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mohamed07

Mohamed07

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: A lot to say about Book One.   A lot to say about Book One. EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 11:24 pm

Designed and conceived for threshold learners, Book One can be considered as a failure.

Firstly, none of the 11/12 years old learners can use it since teachers find difficulties in doing so.

Secondly, it contains many errata that have been enumerated many times without correcting them by the authorities.

Thirdly, it presents ridiculous illustrations that make you laugh.

While discussing with an experienced teacher, he said Pakistanese. I asked him where he found this word, he answered in the official book of English. I said NO and later, we agreed it is an official erratum that should be corrected.

Have a look at pages 13, 14, 15 , 16 and study the content. Just stuffing. Frankly, say how your pupils can use this. Say how you can use this. I have never used it. What is on page 17 is more reasonable.

Many other mistakes and nonsense illustrations spoil our kids'books.
Together, we can help them avoid these traps.

Let's do it together.

Let's start with FILE ONE: The word Pakistanese does not exist. Help the pupils be aware of this and ask them to use an eraser and erase it, then write the right word instead: Pakistani.

On page 23, the absence of apostrophe at the level of many words is misleading :

'What s your name?'
' Hello, I m Massil.'
' Hi, Massil. <y name s Rym'

Other errata can be seen page 23 / 31 and others.
That's why it is urgent to provide our pupils with CONTRACTED FORMS and help them to be aware of the existence of these errata.
Take the risk to ask them to correct using a red pen.

Find the errata and unveil the problem. You can perform well.

This correction was added by Mr.Lyazid. Thanks. We need more.

Where is the Taj Mahal ? Last year, they wrote: New Delhi / Bombay / Calcuta !
This year they "corrected" New Delhi by Acra ! Ridiculous !! It is Âgrâ and not Acra which is in Africa. And on and on.

Mohamed07
Habba
Ouled-Djellal

Last edited by Mohamed07 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add information)
Back to top Go down
http://sheikhnaimi.over-blog.com
Samia

Samia

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-14

PostSubject: Re: A lot to say about Book One.   A lot to say about Book One. EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Salam!

First, many thanks to Mr.Mohammed for the remarks along with the proposed lessons about pronunciation.

As for Book One, all that you've said is true and I think that many teachers have been adapting the book content to the needs, culture and capacities of the pupil as being a beginner.

Pupils of the first year with English should first be exposed to 'Correct English'. I want to point to the pronunciation which is not given any importance, since the only source and model in our schools is the teacher. I know that there are teachers who make efforts in this respect but I'm speaking here about the official syllabus and the official available means.

How about weaker pupils who need extra time to catch up with the others?
Inspectors say that Remedial Work can be dealt with at any time without being assaigned a specific and official session...yes, that's true...but with three hous per week, with the quality of the learner, with the length of the syllabus, with English as being a foreign language...with no available means....with...with...and with...how on earth can we HELP weaker pupils. I don't expect any answer...because we all are doing our best to help but we need a change ...a change...a change...

Thanks once more!
Back to top Go down
Houariman
Admin
Houariman

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: A lot to say about Book One.   A lot to say about Book One. EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Salem!
When I started teaching in 1994, I used the book to help only failure. The year after, I asked my pupils ot to buy the book, because it's just a loss of time and money:) years passed and a general inspector came and asked my pupils if they had all their books! They answered yes! But not of Eglish! The inspector asked the pupils for the cause; they replied it's the teacher who said that it's useless. And indeed it is! It is a none sense to print books this way!
Back to top Go down
https://amse.forumotion.net
lyazid

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: A lot to say about Book One.   A lot to say about Book One. EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi !
Have you seen another errata ? Where is the Taj Mahal ? Last year, they wrote: New Delhi / Bombay / Calcuta !
This year they "corrected" New Delhi by Acra ! Ridiculous !! It is Âgrâ and not Acra which is in Africa. And on and on ( to be followed ! )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A lot to say about Book One.   A lot to say about Book One. Empty

Back to top Go down

A lot to say about Book One.
Page 1 of 1